If you’re like me, remaining motivated to stay active during the winter can be difficult. It’s cold and you just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket, and something hot to drink. Am I right?
Now here are some key tricks that keep me moving:
1. I refuse to hit that snooze button! I always say to set your phone or alarm clock across the room from you, so you have NO CHOICE but to get out of bed! The first morning may be challenging but remaining consistent creates a habit!
2. Establish a consistent schedule. Schedule those workouts, write them on your calendar or set a digital reminder in your phone! If you plan a workout date with a friend or co-worker, you are less likely to bail!
3. Mix it up. Don’t be afraid to change up your workout routine and try something different! Changing your workouts will not only keep you interested, but it will also help you continue evolving and improving.
4. Train for seasonal sports! Embrace seasonal activities like skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, or my favorite, Broomball! I like to use the winter months to program sport-specific workouts that cater to Broomball.
5. Sign up for a race. I am heavily into obstacle courses over the spring and summer months, so I am training for those during the winter as well. Whether it's a race, competition, or workshop, find an upcoming fitness event that will force you to get moving. Try and aim for march or later. This will keep you constantly training for that event and hold you accountable.